Monday 22 September 2008

Ex-Army officer is no fry tipper

I'm innocent ... outraged ex-Army officer Ian Tomlinson
A WAR hero landed an £80 fine for allegedly dropping a CHIP in a McDonald’s car park. Ex-Army officer Ian Tomlinson, 43, was enjoying lunch in his car when a Police Community Support Officer marched up. She ordered him out of the vehicle while she ran a criminal records check. Then she wrote out a fixed penalty notice for depositing “litter (french fry)”. Ian, who saw action in Iraq and was involved in the first Gulf War, said: “I was gobsmacked. I asked if she didn’t have better things to do. “With all this knife crime and teenage murders, what is she achieving by staking out McDonald’s for litterbugs?” The married dad of five denied dropping a french fry at his local McDonald’s in Enfield, North London. He added: “I noticed chips near my car but I didn’t throw any. I was too busy eating them. The PCSO said she and a council man saw me do it but they were 60ft away.” Ian, who is now set to fight the fine, said: “I will demand CCTV footage from the car park. I’m innocent.” He last served with 1st Battalion, Duke of Wellington’s Regiment in 2005, and is now an MOT inspector He said: “I have fought for my country — then you get these people being so petty.”

No comments: