Tuesday 22 September 2009

I See It Now,

but I am a day late! Google have been putting a science fiction flair to their masthead, today I have just found out it was to mark the birthday of H. G. Wells, he was born in Bromley, just a stones throw from my place in Beckenham Place Park, locally he has many places named after him, 25 or so years ago I used to race slot cars in the H. G. Wells halls in Bromley, he I guess was most famous for his book War of the Worlds, but also wrote The Time Machine and The Invisible Man amongst others, although I can not find the source as I write this I remember reading some where that on some of his 'talks' he was not very well received, particularly in Woking, (in those pre radio days people would travel the countryside and be paid to lecture) so to almost get his own back on the people of Woking it was there that the first Martian space ship landed on Horsell Common, there has been two films made of the same title, in 1953 and 2005 but before that Orson Wells made a famous radio broadcast in 1938, but in this broadcast the first landing was in New Jersey, he was born Herbert George Wells, on the 21 September 1866 in Bromley, Kent and died 13 August 1946 (aged 79) London, England so now we know why Google had this si-fi thing about their mastheads!

No comments: