Thursday 14 January 2010

I Have Heard Of Clouds Rolling Across The Sky,

but never seen it happen, or a picture of it till this one, the 'roll cloud' was photographed over Las Olas Beach in Maldonado, Uruguay, experts at NASA said the clouds are formed when downdrafts from storm fronts cause warm air to rise, before cooling and so forming clouds, when this happens uniformly across a large front, a roll cloud may form, the clouds can be seen sporadically throughout the world, they can stretch across 600 miles and tower a mile into the sky, strange that as I look out for this sort of thing I have never seen the phenomenon before.

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that such a cloud formation is a very close cousin to a tornado: Tornados start as horizontal "rolling" collisions of hot and cold air.

PattayaStan said...

Dear Jil, you may well be right, I also read somewhere that the roll cloud can be caused by a decaying tornado, it is just that I have never seen or heard about a roll cloud before, best regards, Stan and Diana.