Saturday 18 September 2010

Friday, So Off To Soi Bukaow Market,

we arrived about midday,
surprisingly the market was packed, Diana went one way to buy some pomelos,
whilst I had a look around the pet/fish section, nothing to tempt me here, having said the market was packed it just so happened when I took these shots of the stalls there was a gap in the crowds,
every time I go past one of these general stalls I always get tempted thinking, 'that would be handy, or I could do with one of those,' things like a tape measure, I have bought 3 or 4, but do you think I can find one when I am at home?
then as I went past one of the dress stalls I saw a couple that I thought Diana might like, so they were in the bag,
next for me it was an ice coffee, as soon as Diana called in with our shopping we were of to
Makro, on the Sumkivitt highway near the Sea World Center, upstairs for the train set I have a plastic set of small drawers, for screws, switches etc, Diana said she would like one to put her jewelry in, I saw one in the fishing tackle shop and asked where he had bought it, Makro was the reply after a long discussion with another worker in the shop, like a fool I believed him, of course sets of draws like that are not sold at Makro, I had fallen for it again hook, line and sinker! but at least we got to look around Makro, some things like frozen fish were 60 or 70 baht cheaper than Friendship, but be warned, the tin foods that Diana looked at are 50% more in Makro than Friendship, even Lea & Perins Worcestershire sauce were cheaper elsewhere, another small point to watch out for is that there are no carrier bags provided free of charge, at 11 baht each, in UK money 4 for £1.00 if you are on a bike any slight savings you might make are soon eaten away if you do not bring bags with you,
on a whim we called into home works, I was hoping they might have what we were looking for there,
outside there is a large collection of stalls selling outdoor goods, sure enough they had just what we wanted, the problem was I had forgotten where I had bought the one I had from, another small point, my dream television is a 46" Samsung series 8 LED for a whopping, wait for it, 119,990 baht, well at Home works it is 110,000 AND they throw in a Blu-Ray 3D player which else where was another 19,990, it pays to shop around if only in my dreams!
later that afternoon I spent a few hours putting some of the stamps I had picked up in the UK into one of my albums,
so many stamps, so little time,
after a cup of coffee or two we were off to the Friday night market in Theprisit, the new shop next to the 7-11 has been finished it sells Buddha images,
I made my way along the alleyways, past the light stall, I had dropped Diana off at Tesco's as we needed some towels and she wanted to buy them there,
although not quite 6.00 in the evening again it was busy,
again a stall had set up opposite the bar selling this time mainly children's clothes,
then Diana returned with the towels,
off around the market again she returned with another pair of house slippers, after that home for our evening meal,
this is the set of drawers Diana wanted, it is almost full, so at least we know where to buy the next one!
then The Adventure Of Baron Munchausen, directed by Terry Gilliam for me a great film, Diana was not so sure, very Monty/Time Bandits, if you like that sort of thing this is for you, the sets are stunning as are the costumes, the Baron takes over from a player who is impersonating on stage and tells the true story of his life, another couple of Hill Street then off to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is my first time visit at here and i am in fact impressed to read everthing at
one place.