Wednesday 22 September 2010

I Think I Am Over The Worse Of The Gout,

bending my toes is still impossible, walking still painful, but at least I had a good nights sleep, I played again with my stamps but really spent most of the day in front of then television, I am so glad I have a single storey house, going upstairs is still way off, but on to the movies we watched today, I had a look in the papers but there was nothing that we found interesting or amusing in them, so on to Deep Impact, another disaster movie that humankind, (see I was PC, I could have said mankind!), seems to love, we all know of so many disaster movies but they still keep churning them out, which is great as I love the special effects, but in this movie they are saved till last, the main story is who will survive and why, will you be one of the preselected 200,000 to be housed in an ark or one of the 800,000 randomly selected across the US?
next up I Am Legend, another disaster movie, a lone (or is he?), a survivor of a mutant virus outbreak lives his life amongst a sub race trying to kill him, what is it with us and disaster movies, again great special effects, the street scenes in the city being totally deserted very spooky, as were the light hating mutants out to kill him,
then from the pen of Michael Crichton, The Andromeda Strain, a space vechile design to collect samples from space lands in a town of 68 souls, all are dead when the retrieval crew arrive, except the towns oldest and youngest inhabitants, what is the link to their survival? I really enjoyed this first version of the film, Diana fell asleep so I guess the pace was a bit slow, having said that I have the second version on two DVD's and I fell asleep watching both of them so they must have been slower still!
but Diana stayed wide awake for this one, Aliens Of The Deep, she even paused it when she made a cup of tea! (this is how I judge a movies success, if it is paused Diana loves it), we were taken to depths in the oceans of the world that would crush a human in micro seconds if exposed to the pressure, but to every ones amazement creatures as fine as gossamer were found living there, then moving on to colonies of creatures, crabs, shrimps and huge colonies of tube worms and bacteria, all living around the inhospitable areas around hydrothermal vents, the water upwards of 700 degrees Fahrenheit and toxic too!
then to our last movie of the evening, another one from the Hitchcock box Topaz, set at the time of the Cuban missile crisis the film although billed as exciting for both of us was a bit long at 2 hours 20 minuets plus, a spy thriller set in Cuba and France with some scenes in the US, it was certainly International, but a bit slow, but what film maker can make an action packed movie every time? then for us off to bed.

No comments: