Tuesday 21 December 2010

As I Collect Stamps I Thought I Would Put A Merry Christmas Stamp On The Blog,

having said that Santa does not look particularly happy, it appears that the post in the UK is going up, not only that stamp prices having gone up at double the rate of inflation over the last five years, but now the Post Office has announced a record increase in the price of stamps of 5p, even so the Royal Mail’s inflation-busting increases of up to 13.7 per cent, which come into effect in April, will only generate an estimated additional income of £30million to the nation’s Christmas post bill, in the last financial year the Royal Mail lost £163million on stamped mail, which is equivalent to 6.4p for every item it handled, oh dear what to do? but on a happier note I have bought a few more for my collection, first above, 4 of the 6 printed in 1923, they were never considered as proper postage stamps and were never issued by the post office, the stamps were the winning design of a school boy competition by the then Junior [now National] Philatelic Society for members to design an Airmail stamp for Great Britain, the winning design by J Bickerton Sifton and was produced as a label to commemorate the 1923 London International Stamp exhibition at the RHS Hall,
I then came across this 1900 Manchester war fund stamp, I can not find out much about it except that there were two colour designs, I went a bit over board at £6.26, I hope when I find one the other colour is a bit cheaper!
then in a stroke of good luck I found these, you may remember how I waxed lyrical on how nice the blue stamp was, well I found another one plus the other three in the States for just $12.99 for all 4 stamps, bargain and a very nice addition to the collection.

No comments: