Tuesday 21 December 2010

First Thing A Very Slow Drive To The Bike Shop,

it is surprising how often you use the front brake, that gem was brought home to me as I did not have one! I had finally made my way to the shop,
I had settled down to a long wait, my bike was at least 14 years old, also at the time and I think still now the Kawasaki brand is not so popular, so I guessed the owner would send one of the mechanics out to troll around other repair shops for a front brake cable - but not so! from out of the back of the shop a brand new cable was found and fitted in under 10 minuets, 120 baht and I was on my way,
so feet up to watch the first of Around The World In 80 Gardens, Monty Don set off on an enchanting journey to visit 80 of the world's most celebrated gardens, from ancient to modern, large to small, and grand to humble, it was fascinating, I watched as he took us through Mexico and on to Cuba from the ancient Floating Gardens of Xochimilco to the organic allotments and market gardens of Havana,
next the 1955 film Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier, I remember my Gran taking me to see this, for me as a kid it had everything, seemed a shame to wake Gran up when it was over! also seeing again Buddy Ebsen who we featured before on the blog, the life of Davy Crockett is told in this popular Disney television series that introduces Fess Parker as the resourceful backwoodsman from Tennessee, in real life much of what is in the film is actually true - or very close to it, have a look at the real Davy Crockett here,
I tried reading the book, but it was heavy going, as is the mini series made into a film, Moby Dick, but enjoyable never the less, strange to recount though is that the book was in fact based on a true incident of the whale ship Essex that sailed out of Nantucket, Massachusetts in 1819 where the story is based, indeed the ship was rammed by a whale - twice, the Essex sunk, the survivors tell a story of hardship, death, murder and cannibalism,
by now it was getting late, so a few from Tales of the Unexpected, of the 4 or 5 we watched Operation Safecrack, was the one with the best twist in the tale, Sam 'The Touch' Morrissey is the most famous safe-cracker in Britain and advertising executive Jack Harrison uses him in an elaborate live television stunt to promote his companies new safe, Sam has to break into the impregnable new Holdwell 801 in the studio, thereby claiming the twenty-five thousand pounds in an envelope in the safe, for us this was the best one in the 4 or 5 we watched with a very good sting in the tail, then off to bed.

No comments: