Sunday 7 August 2011

The Day Just Sort Of Drifted Away,

we watched some cable television films,
then a telephone call from Harvey to say he was back from Phuket so it was out for a beer,
so to a dark Soi 8 to meet up with him at 7.00 in the evening, we were joined in the bar by this young lady for a couple of drinks,
then it started to rain,
I mean really rain, a tropical storm hit Soi 8,
then the plastic macks were out,
by now it was nearly 9.00 and several San Miguel lights later I left the UK bar, I made my way to Beach Road to get a baht bus into town,
so a quick walk to the bottom of Soi 8,
only to find that every bus that came by was packed to capacity, so figuring the walk would do me good it was off on my toes, past the Central Festival,
realising the walk was not doing me any favours a not quite so full baht bus came to my rescue,
but about 100 meters from Walking Street the traffic came to a complete standstill,
so back to walking,
all the usual street signs,
as I made my way to meet Juu in Champions, it appears that the fleet is in town, I guess the sailors were given orders not to go into go-go bars and look at ladies in bikinis as 4 sailors wearing the SLG insignia called into the bar to see if anyone was disobeying orders and being corrupted by the sight of the dancers there, after a few moments they left, but the second group of 4 stayed and stayed and stayed, one, then two of them even buying drinks (water) at the bar, by now I was curious to see how long these upholders of morals would continue to look at the 6 old guys like me, bald and over weight, the 2 young guys with hair halfway down their backs and the Rastafarian before concluding we were not in the military, so I looked at my watch 8.56, they left at 9.07, discounting the time that they were there before I looked at the time it was a through search for miscreants, but really why is it such a bad thing to go to a go go bar? if the SLG are so worried about this sort of thing why put the temptation to disobey orders by coming here, why not have shore leave where there are no bars?
by now, it was about 11.00, Harvey and John had caught up with us in Champions, John decided to liven the party up by ordering a large bottle of vodka for us, the problem being only Harvey and myself drink vodka, but these things have to be endured, so we made a start on the bottle, naturally we did not finish it but we gave it a fright!
then time for the wet walk to the motor bike taxi rank, thankfully it was only lightly raining now,
thinking Diana might be hungry I called in at the pancake stall,
the lady here such an expert at throwing the pancake around to make it bigger,
nearly done,
a topping of sweet condensed milk and it was ready to go,
I did not take my keys so a happy Diana let me in, after a medicinal red wine, for us we were off to bed.

No comments: