Wednesday 19 December 2012

Next Morning Up And Out,

a trip to the money exchange was needed,

there are lots to choses from,

then breakfast,

at the Myrnaki Greek restaurant,

I have to admit I have not often eaten Greek food, so this was a new experience for me,

not so for Joe who ordered miusaka,

I went with beef tekia with Greek potatoes, which was a nice way to start the day, full of flavour and very filling,

as an aside the owner of this bar writes a blog under the name of Harry the Horse,

we had stopped off for Joe to buy a few things when I noticed this across the road,

two things caught my attention, firstly it looked so professionally done, I have seen so many of this type of three wheeled configuration before, but this one looked so neat,

secondly the make of engine, Dayun, it appears they are made in China,

shopping next to SM Mall,

where a Christmas show was being put on,

by the Rotary Club,

which judging by the lack of seats was very well attended,

in the mall there was also a small funfair,

lots to keep the kids happy,

another first for me, I had not seen one of these before, the Yamaha FZ, this one looks a little different from the ones on the link, but I guess the specification is similar,

past the SM City Mall we are off on a drive,

to Clark Air force Base,

there is a permanent display there, but this week a few new attractions have been added,

like this easy to make from easily found bits and pieces bomb shelter,

there are 6 or 7 aircraft that are here as static displays,

but I do not know what designation they are,

now I know how Santa gets around so fast,

he uses a jet!

it was an interesting place to look around,

but it would have been nice to read a little about each plane,

or the history of the unit they served in,

there was one propeller aircraft here,

which had a radial 9 engine, 9 cylinders might seem an odd choice as we are all used to straight 4's or V8's, but to a engine builder configurations of 3 have a certain appeal, each throw of the crank is 120°, multiply that buy 3 and you have a 360° circle which is why engines with 3 cylinders tend to be smoother than other configurations, hence in cars a straight 3, a V6 or V12 or in planes a radial 9,

a few years ago we enjoyed watching a program called Wingnuts, a group of people took pieces from aircraft and made tables, chairs or other household furniture from the old pieces they bought, this is just the sort of thing they would make, a table and chair from the aerilons of a now scrapped aircraft, great series by the way we hope it come back,

then I nearly stepped on this,

but I need not have panicked, it was dead,

then in Clark a cemetery that very few know of,

the K-9 cemetery, dogs that were enlisted in the war are buried here,

a surprising number,

each grave with the dogs name,

and number,

a tribute to some that most of us did not even know were involved in the conflict,

it is just a pity that the brass plague and statue at the front of the cemetery is no longer there,

we then made our way back to the hotel, going past the Blind Beggar,

I thought this was neat, an outside elevator at the front of the building,

given my fear of heights not my ideal form of travel,

a colourful hotel, the American,

the hotel with the outside lift was bad enough,

but one with outside stairs is definitely a no-no!

No comments: