Sunday 6 January 2013

We Had A Quiet Day Today,

but that was of my making,


we did pop over to Fascino for some nasal spray for Diana, she has had her cold return, but I had a day of problems, all of my own making, after I finished yesterdays post, I am guessing at 09.00 in the morning I decided to play with our stereo system, thinking that it could sound better if I tweaked some of the settings, but by 01.00 in the afternoon I had seceded in losing all signals to the two rear speakers and one of the front ones, no matter what I did I had changed things dramatically for the worse, there was nothing else for it, I had to download and print the Onkyo owners manual, all 88 pages of it, I did have the copy that came with the purchase, but I put it somewhere safe, too safe as it turned out, I could not find it,

the system came with Audyssey MultEQ a automatic sound calibration system, a censor is placed in the room a ear height in three different positions, the speakers emit a sound and the system calibrates the speakers so I started with that, by 04.00 in the afternoon things were sounding better, but one side of the room was much louder than the other, I continued reading and changing settings, till after our evening meal it sounded so much better, but still not quiet right, but we settled down to our first film of the evening,

which was Great Balls of Fire! a biographic film of the early career of Jerry Lee Lewis, from his rise to rock 'n' roll stardom to his controversial marriage to his 13-year-old cousin that led to his downfall, is depicted in the film, until the scandal of the marriage depreciated his image, many had thought Lewis would supplant Elvis Presley as the "King of Rock and Roll" in the 1950s, the part of Jerry being played by Dennis Quaid who gave a stellar performance as the star, we both thought the film was hugely enjoyable, but it was panned by critics and the public, what I thought was some how funny was that his song Whole Lot Of Shaking was banned in several states in the US at the time of it's release in the 1950's,


I thought this was a thing of the past, but then in strange coincidence I just read today that a Elvis Presley song, All Shook Up, has just been banned by school administrators in Utah, they cancelled a musical after one parent complained that All Shook Up was too racy, the producers of the high school musical have been forced to change the lyrics of one of his most famous songs to prevent the production from being shut down, in the 1957 classic, the king of rock and roll warbles about a sweetheart whose 'lips are like a volcano that's hot', the song continues: 'I'm proud to say she's my buttercup I'm in love, I'm all shook up,' the show was allowed to go ahead only after administrators at Herriman High School received permission yesterday from the copyright owners of All Shook Up to edit the song, it is not yet clear what the changes are,


back to the stereo system, I played around with it some more for an hour or so, then joy of joys it now sounds as it should do, sound from all 6 speakers at just the right levels, note to self, in future read the manual first!


then sadly the last episode of Downton Abbey series 3, the good news is that the Christmas special for 2012 will be on BluRay soon so we are looking forward to that, but by now it was late so for us we were off to bed.

No comments: