Monday 4 February 2013

When I First Saw This Picture,

I though I was looking at an anatomical model,


something that medical students study, they made of I guess wax or resins are a work of art in themselves, but this is a work of art in another way, it is in fact made totally of paper curls,

artist Lisa Nilsson constructs anatomical cross sections of the human body using rolled pieces of Japanese mulberry paper, a technique known as quilling or paper filigree, each piece takes several weeks to assemble and begins with an actual photograph of a lateral or mid-sagittal cross section to which she begins pinning small rolls of paper, depending on its function she rolls the paper on almost anything small and cylindrical including pins, needles, dowels, and drill bits, she even builds the wooden boxes containing the cross-sections by hand, a graduate of RISD, Nilsson now lives and works in Massachusetts, for more of Lisa's work have a look here, I have to say they are rather spooky for me, looking so much like a real slice of life. 

No comments: