Saturday 16 March 2013

This Piece Of News From Mid Devon District Council,

has been great for me,


it has banned all punctuation, including apostrophes from street signs, so I guess it will be just a short step before the same ban will be in effect in all council correspondence, which if adopted nationwide will be great news for me, as well as being dyslectic, I can spell words like brown 3 or 4 different ways and they all look correct to me, I am also useless at punctuation, as my English grammar master at school knew only too well,


but what has brought this change about? well it appear that the emergency services in Mid Devon District are easily confused, the council claims the policy will 'eliminate' any potential confusion in the event of an emergency,


unsurprisingly, Mid Devon officials were unable to explain what trouble could arise from correct use of punctuation, a statement from Mid Devon Council said: 'our proposed policy on street naming and numbering covers a whole host of practical issues, many of which are aimed at reducing potential confusion over street names', in case you like me do not know the rules of punctuation here they are,
  • Possession - Use an apostrophe to show that a thing or person belongs or relates to someone or something e.g. Ben's party, yesterday's weather
  • For names that end in an -s add an apostrophe plus -s e.g Charles's army, Dickens's novels
  • There are exceptions such as places or organisations e.g St Thomas' hospital
  • For plural nouns that end in an -s, add an apostrophe afterwards e.g the children's father, men's clothing
  • To shorten words - An apostrophe can be used to show that letters or numbers have been omitted e.g I am= I'm, he will= he'll, she would she=d
  • It's or its - Without an apostrophe its means 'belonging to it'. With an apostrophe it's means 'it is or 'it has' e.g it's been a long day, it's a comfortable car.

so now I know, I will still get them wrong but I will try harder to get them correct!

No comments: