Saturday 22 February 2014

Many Years Ago Rum Was My Favourite Tipple,

sometimes with a dash of coke,

I thought I knew of most brands but here is a new one on me, Black Magic, a newly released black spiced rum, what was needed was a label, but not just any old label, Ross Sutherland, creative director at Silver Fern turned to David Welker to design the label, look carefully at the label and you will see a hidden skull,

Welker explained: 'I personalized the hidden-skull motif explored throughout art history for Black Magic, the label depicts the captain and crew aloft in the ship's crow's nest, partying with island beauties and paying little mind to the sea monsters and large waves surrounding them – and their gathering creates the right eye socket (as you look at it) for the skull illusion,' 


a second drawing (and another skull illusion) printed on the label's opposite side, facing inward, shows the captain in his study, gradually revealing itself with every nip of rum poured from the bottle, I must remember to look out for a bottle as a special treat next time I am in the UK, as it says on the label, 'time flies when you are having rum!'.


No comments: