Monday 30 March 2015

When I First Looked At This Advertisement From Panasonic,

there was something strangely familiar about it,


 and then it struck me, no not the wave, where I had seen it before,

it was of course based on one of Hokusai's woodblock prints, it belongs to the series 'Thirty-six views of Mount Fuji' (Fugaku sanjūrokkei), this one perhaps the most famous of them all titled, 'Under the Wave, off Kanagawa' (Kanagawa oki nami-ura), having said there were thirty six views, created between 1826 and 1833, there were eventually forty six, ten more being added later, thirty six were included in the original publication and due to their popularity, 10 additional prints were added after, but what a great way to create interest in one of Panasonic's products, in this case the crispy lettuce and an eggplant in an ad for refrigerators. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a very doco about this print, I think it's on Youtube but I saw it on TV. Worth a look Stanley.