Thursday 11 February 2016

I Am Not A Great Fan Of Tattoos,

but these reminded me of a book I once had in the UK,


 it was called from memory Wood's Illustrated Natural History, in three volumes,

 each volume had 2,000 wood engravings in it,

with some looking remarkably like these tattoos inked by tattoo artist Pony Reinhardt, She founded an appointment-only tattoo studio in Portland called Tenderfoot Studio, and you can see many more of her pieces on Istagram

this by the way is the first page of volume 2, birds, I had this and volumes 1 and 3 bound into one as the bindings on the copy I had were missing, I also collected another 2 of his works, a fascinating work by the Reverend John George Wood, who at one time was selling 100,000 copies of his 'Common objects of the country' a week!


No comments: