Saturday 10 March 2018

Day 23,

We Arrived Back Safe And Sound,


from our Scottish adventure,

 and started the day in Kingfisheries, where I used to work for number of years, above the UV and IR lamps give the aquarium and coral an eerie glow,

 I chatted to Lee, Graham and Karl,

 whilst Diana had a look around,

I thought these were rather neat, for a home that does not have room for a conventional aquarium,

 these different shaped,

 aquariums not only take up little room,

 but they can also change colour!

 what will they think of next?

 like Diana,

 I also decided to have a look around,

 so many different tropical freshwater and marine fish from all around the world,

 coldwater ones too,

 we then walked to the station,

 and caught a train to London Bridge,

 and this is where we were going, Borough market,

 an easy walk from the station,

 the variety of foods on offer,

 has to be seen to be belived,

 fresh fish a speciality here,

 with crustaceans and shellfish as well,

scallops,

and fresh lobsters were also in abundance,

 I could not pass these by,

 a pot of whelks please,

 they had oysters as well, but I have to admit I am not a fan of them,

 many thanks,

 just a touch,

 of vinegar,

 and they are ready to go,

 delicious, I am as I am typing this wishing I had a pot of them now,

also on the same stall I noticed these, sea urchins, never seen them for sale before, 

 breakfast finished we looked at some of the other stalls,

this one with a huge seafood paella,

Diana just had to try some venison burger,

they also had Cajun chicken and wild boar, wild? I bet he was absolutely livid when they shot him!

and kangaroo burgers, I bet he was hopping mad as well, still there is no point in burying you head in the sand,

joking aside the meats here were so tempting, and as a bonus good for you,

on to the fruit section,

all so nicely laid out,

I then moved next door and remembered I had not seen Diana for some time,

I should have known, look for the biggest burger!

back to the vegetable stalls,

I had not realized that so many different tomatoes,

were available,

every one in these heirloom boxes,

 looked slightly different,

and this is the stall for mushrooms,

they almost look too good to eat,

underneath the arches, that sounds like the name of a song,

there are a few art/craft stalls here,

but mainly food stalls,

like this one,

where we bought three of four different types, on no! I have just remember the cheese sketch

moving on we passed the cake stall,

only to stop at the chocolate stall,

Diana was spoilt for choice,

so whilst she was making up her mind,

I wandered off to look for lunch,

there was so much to choose from,

 there was even a Thai food stall here in case we missed the taste of home,

 sausages,

and pork on a spit,

Diana is getting close now,

decision made,

I noticed this building, and I knew what was behind it, 

a replica,

of the Golden Hind, it was an English galleon best known for her privateering circumnavigation of the globe between 1577 and 1580, captained by Sir Francis Drake, She was originally known as Pelican,

 but was renamed by Drake mid-voyage in 1578, in honour of his patron, Sir Christopher Hatton, whose crest was a golden 'hind' (a female red deer), 

Hatton was one of the principal sponsors of Drake's world voyage, 

as we were near the river we walk to the edge of it and took a picture of the Walkie Talkie building, where we will be going,

once packed with tugs towing all manner of goods there are few that ply the waterway now,

back for a late lunch,

decision made,

a salt beef sandwich,

it was huge, and delicious,

we stopped by another cheese shop for two more types,

but could have bought many more,

and a few sausages,

we decided to take a walk around, I wanted to take a picture of The Shard, we then made a move for home, and had a nice home cooked meal with Steve and Kai, then for all of us we were off to bed.


No comments: